Sunday, February 17, 2013

People are so nice!

As I was making my way to Verdun this past weekend, so was an ice storm.

The train part of the ride went along quite smoothly, but when it came time for the bus, the driver flatly informed me (and the other passenger--yeah, there were only two of us) that we might not be able to make it to Verdun because of the verglas (black ice) that was all over the hilly country roads.

Getting stuck in Conflans is everyone's idea of a nightmare--there is NOTHING there.

Finally, he decided to make some calls to see if the autoroute was better.  Sweet man, he agreed to take us as long as we didn't mind going the long way.  At first the road didn't seem too bad, but as we got on the highway, the driver pointed out a truck that had turned over--which freaked us into buckling up.

Because the driver had to get back to Metz that evening (that's where he lived) he asked if he could leave us at the shopping center just outside of town.  Of course, this meant that I would be stuck out in the middle of the countryside without a car or any way to get into town.

The other girl who was with me graciously called a friend and asked if he could pick the both of us up--which he did, and they dropped me off even closer than the bus would have normally!

They could tell immediately by my accent that I wasn't French.

"Assistant?" Yeah... everyone here knows about the assistants and they were more than happy to help me out :)

People are so nice!