Thursday, February 14, 2013

Marco the Melancholic

Personalities fascinate me.  Before I left the good ol' US of A I was halfway through reading The Temperament God Gave You (a fabulous book about the four temperaments: choleric, sanguine, melancholic and phlegmatic).  Knowing the temperaments can help you understand other people--and keep you from getting frustrated at why people do things they way they do them.

I have a story to share.

Melancholics are introverted, thoughtful people who are usually concerned with rules, justice, and doing things correctly--no matter how long it takes.  They are often thought of as sad--though that's not quite part of the temperament--and deeply focused individuals.

Meet Marco--The. Cutest. Kid. Ever.

He is eight years old and a strong melancholic--when I ask feelings questions, he's apt to reply that he's sad (until the other kids laugh at him).

He also is the same kid who dared to contradict my point giving system when two kids answered a question at the same time and I gave both teams a point-- "c'est pas juste!"  Half the time I can't tell if he's participating because he sits in the corner staring at his desk (not wildly raising his hand like the other kids when we play games)--but he usually knows the answer.

One day we were all walking up to class together:

"Laura, can I ask you a question?" he said carefully.  Mind you, most kids just come right out and ask the question.

"Bien sûr!"

"As-tu un mari?" (do you have a husband?)

What a question!  This was cuteness incarnate.  I melted.

I feel like this conversation ranks highest, followed closely by: how many kids do you have? and how many of your friends have asked to be your "petit ami?"

Bon week end!

À bientôt!