Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Night at the Opera!

Last night I went to the Opera National de Lorraine in Nancy to see Verdi's Macbeth!

It was quite an elegant affair--first we stopped at one of the lovely cafes around the Place Stanislas for some drinks (and desserts!)  I had pêche kir and profiteroles:



We were able to purchase tickets for the opera for only 5 euros a piece--what a deal!  That is what we thought until we got to our seats:


This was the view from my seat--with a big light fixture and balcony blocking the entire view--BUT we had an amazing view of the projected titles :)  My roommate, who is always trying to improve her French, wrote down all the words that she didn't understand :)

I spent the entirety of the opera kneeling beside the balcony and laying on my chest, craning my neck over the edge to catch a glimpse of the actors as they passed by my small window of vision.  I did get to see a couple of the murders, so it wasn't a total loss.

At the beginning, I consoled myself with the fact that I had an absolutely gorgeous view of the orchestra pit and the harpist:


But, I soon realized that the harpist didn't have a big part at all--only one easy-ish exposed section and a bunch of stuff that we couldn't hear anyway  How disappointing!  Though I now know an easy opera gig without having to know too much :) To be fair, there was another section that reminded me of the overture to La Forza del Destino which is hard--but still, not a bad gig!

À bientôt!