Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Paris!

So...what should I talk about first?  The phone fiasco, getting lost, or the catacombs?

Ok, I'll start with the phone.  First, I must say that I'm slightly proud of myself for buying a phone card in French without any major glitches, or the dude behind the counter looking at me like I'm a weirdo speaking a language from another planet.

That being said, I am not proud of myself for conducting the transaction with very few words and a lot of pointing :p  I did, in fact, comprehend most of what the guy said, even if all I could do in response was shrug, point, and nod.

Another disclaimer: it is very easy to get lost in Paris if you believe your destination is to the East of where you are, when it really lies to the West.  Lesson learned.  We went all the way around a bunch of streets and then wound up in the same place that we started.  Whatever.  In study abroad class in college, they told us to get lost.  Mission accomplished.

After getting lost a couple more times and remembering how to use the metro, we visited the Shrine of the Miraculous Medal and then headed South to the catacombs.  Coolest place everywhere (and maybe a little creepy).

What I gather, from reading the signs in French (I tried not to read the English ones), there were a bunch of quarries beneath Paris that began collapsing in the 1800s, so they started adding pillars and rocks for stability.  Later, to prevent the spread of disease, they removed bones from the cemeteries and brought them down to the catacombs (lining all the walls and pillars with bones).  I might put up some pictures later (for now, you can google it).  If you've ever seen the Fr. Brown movie, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Some interesting facts about the French (from observation):
-They LOVE parks and gardens.  Other than bars, parks are THE place to hang out, especially if you're a teen/young adult or toddler.  Imagine, you and your friends after school, sitting by a famous fountain smoking a hookah---not kidding, they were out there doing it today :)

-This one should have been number one: French children are ADORABLE.  They toddle around saying cute things that I can actually understand.  And they all have scooters.  Chasing pigeons is also a well-loved pasttime :)

-Apparently Frenchmen love to sing when they are drunk.  Mary and I heard them outside last night--and if we hear them again, I'm totally recording it (it's hysterically funny to hear them all burst into song for about two lines, and then stop, only to pick up where they left off five minutes later).

-Scarves and jackets are soo in right now!  For everyone. Guys back home don't really wear scarves, except in the winter, so seeing all these men in suits with scarves was a little shocking.  In general, guys seem more well-dressed over here--or I should say, more particular about their appearance.  You don't really see even teenagers walking around with tee-shirts and ripped jeans hanging too low.  The women, too, are also dressed up nicely with jackets and scarves, but hardly any jeans.  I'm just glad I fit those two other jackets and extra scarves into my suitcase!

Cheers!
~Laura